Parent Process Reference Framework: ITIL
Life Cycle: Service Transition
Release and Deployment Management
The purpose of Release and Deployment Management is to plan, develop, test and release new or changed services with minimal or no disruption.
The objectives of Release and Deployment Management (RDM) are to:
- Define and agree Release plans with business customers
- Develop and test release packages. Release packages include configuration items including hardware, applications, custom developed code, release notes, communication plans, training plans etc.
- Ensure Release packages are stored in Configuration Management Systems (CMS)
- Ensure Releases are controlled throughout the life cycle – for example stage gate reviews, release readiness review
- Ensure that Organisation Change Management (OCM) activities are considered and managed along with the technical change
- Record and manage deviations, risks and issues related to new or changed services
- Ensure that there is knowledge transfer to enable the customers and users to optimize their use of the services
- Ensure that the skills and knowledge are transferred to service operation
In SFIA 7, Release and Deployment Management skill is covered under Release and deployment
ITIL Foundations cover the basics of Transition Planning.
There is focussed training available to cover the Service Transition life cycle
Be the first to leave a review.